Call us now: 0333 456 8030




  • Self Build Insurance from Protek - Site Insurance & Structural Warranty - On Line Quote
  • House Extension Refurbishment Loft Conversion And New Build Picture Id1344129428
  • Self Build Insurance from Protek - Site Insurance & Structural Warranty - On Line Quote

New Build | Conversion | Renovation | Extension

Your project, covered your way



Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the frequently asked questions we get asked at Protek self build insurance. If you have a question that’s not answered here, we would love to hear from you.

Is Site Insurance or a 10 Year structural warranty a legal requirement?

There is no law sating you must have these products, unless you are employing direct labour, in which case you need employers’ liability, which is included in our site insurance products. That said, your lender will normally insist on them for the simple reason that if you have a major accident on site it can be a huge financial burden, which without insurance may be difficult to recover from.

I’m not doing any of the work myself as I’m contracting a builder to do it – what insurance do I need?

Have a look at our Essential Guide which outlines the coverage you need to consider and what to do if you are relying on your builders insurance.

Why should I choose Protek over another provider?

The products we offer, combined with the expertise of our staff and the security rating of our carrier, mean you really are in good hands. We have designed products that are flexible, comprehensive and competitive – backed by excellent service levels.

Which lenders accept the Protek Warranty?

Click this link for more information on which lenders accept the warranty.

What is a CML, Architects or Professional Consultants Certificate ?

Professional Consultant Certificates are often advertised as low cost alternatives to a structural warranty, but the reality is they are cheaper for a reason. A professional consultants certificate is not an insurance policy. It is just a certificate identifying who the professional was. If a defect manifests itself, you will have to prove the professional was negligent and that can be a costly and fruitless exercise. Its also worth bearing in mind that the certificate is issued on the back of professional indemnity insurance. If the professional fails to renew this or goes out of business – you are unlikely to have any protection whatsoever. A recent court case highlights some of the dangers

I’m doing all the work myself and it could take a few years will you cover me?

Yes – that’s real self-building and believe it or not you are actually in the minority, as most people use a builder and subcontractors. We have insurance and warranty solutions for you.

What’s the difference between Site Insurance and a Structural Warranty?

A site insurance policy covers the works in progress, plant, tools equipment, materials, liability and so on during the build so if you fall victim to a fire, flood or your materials are stolen, you are adequately covered. A structural warranty starts when the project is complete and provides 10 years’ cover against defects in the design, workmanship, materials and components of the structure causing major damage or defective weatherproofing.

When should I take out site insurance?

Site insurance should be in place from the moment you exchange contracts on the plot or property you are about to start work on.

I haven’t got my Site insurance arranged but I’m already a way through the project!

Don’t worry you are not alone. Fortunately we can provide you with site insurance and a structural warranty even if you have started, but its worth bearing in mind that a structural warranty becomes more expensive the longer you leave it.

What is a professional reinstatement cost?

It’s the cost of rebuilding the project using professional contractors. Think of it this way: If your project is destroyed two days before you are due to move in by a fire, it will need to be rebuilt as quickly as possible using professional contractors and that is likely to be more than the cost of self-building it. Always insure for the professional reinstatement cost. Click here to check out our article written for Build-It magazine on the subject?

What about existing structures – how should I insure them?

It is very important you insure existing structures if your project includes an existing retained element like in a conversion, renovation or extension project. Protek site insurance enables you to extend coverage to include cover for the existing retained element as well as any retained materials (roof tiles for example) that may be put aside for inclusion in the project at a later date. If you are doing an extension to your home its important to consider that most household policies will not cover the existing structure (house) sufficiently whilst works are being carried out.

How do I go about making a claim?

Call us on 0333 456 8030 or email  If you have experienced a theft, it is important you report it to the police as we will need the crime reference number. Please ensure you have read the claims procedures contained in your policy wording and are aware of the excess applicable which will be shown on your Insurance Certificate.  If you are unsure as to whether you need to make a claim, please call Protek for further assistance. 

Who underwrites the policy?

Site insurance is underwritten by QBE Insurance (Europe) Limited,

Structural warranty is underwritten by Canopius Managing Agents Limited, Lloyd’s Syndicate 4444/958

What is a technical audit?

The technical audit is applicable to a structural warranty policy. It is the process we use to establish whether or not the project can be deemed a normal risk to insurers for provision of the structural warranty cover. The technical audit comprises a design check and a series of site based inspections which are all reported on to ensure its designed and built in accordance with technical standards.

Can you incorporate building control into the technical audit process?

Yes we can, in fact it’s financially and operationally more effective to have one entity providing the building control and technical audit on the project. This is an option you can select during the quotation process.

I’m using my local authority to do my building control – Is that OK?

Absolutely fine – just tell us which one it is during the quotation process. Click here to get a quote now.

What happens if I’m building to sell?

We have a range of solutions to assist you if you are building one or more units to sell on. Just get in contact with us and we will happily talk you through the options available.

Can you get me a quote for home insurance?

Yes we can, Protek Group Limited is an Appointed Representative of Arthur J. Gallagher (UK) Limited. Gallagher have a Private Clients team dedicated to securing quotes and cover for home insurance. Just visit Gallagher Home Insurance

Can you get me a quote for my business insurance?

Protek Group Limited is an Appointed Representative of Arthur J. Gallagher (UK) Limited. Gallagher can provide specialist advice for your business insurance needs. Please visit Gallagher Business Insurance for more information.


We will continue to add frequently asked questions to this page.



Contact Us

Protek Group Limited,
Unit 2, Enterprise Way,
TN8 6HF.

Tel: 0333 456 8030

Protek Self Build are a member of NaCSBA


Protek Group Limited, Registered Office: The Walbrook Building, 25 Walbrook, London EC4N 8AW, Company Number: 09616620

Protek Group Limited is an Appointed Representative of Arthur J. Gallagher (UK) Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered Office: The Walbrook Building, 25 Walbrook, London EC4N 8AW. Registered in England and Wales. Company Number: 1193013.
Gallagher is the brand name of the Arthur J. Gallagher group of companies.




Financial Ombudsman Service
Should you have cause to complain, and you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you may be able to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which can be contacted as follows: The Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR | Tel: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9 123 |

Online Dispute Resolution platform
Consumers wishing to complain about a policy sold online can register the complaint using the Online Dispute Resolution platform (ODR) at