Call us now: 0333 456 8030



  • Self Build Insurance from Protek - Site Insurance & Structural Warranty - On Line Quote
  • House Extension Refurbishment Loft Conversion And New Build Picture Id1344129428
  • Self Build Insurance from Protek - Site Insurance & Structural Warranty - On Line Quote

New Build | Conversion | Renovation | Extension

Your project, covered your way



Self-Build Warranty

A self-build warranty is a really important consideration for anyone undertaking a new self-build or conversion project. You can also use one on an extension, renovation or conversion project. The product works with all build routes including turnkey, self-managed or DIY. The self-build structural warranty covers building defects that may have crept in during the build. Unfortunately, those defects don’t manifest themselves until many years after the project is completed. Defects invariably remain your responsibility and often turn out to be extremely expensive to fix. Protek’s self-build warranty product has been specifically created to cover those crucial elements of the property and is acceptable to lenders. We have full UK coverage and you can apply for a quote online now.

Why do I need a self-build warranty?

      Leaking cavity tray - self build structural warranty claim  self build structural warranty damage    Render Failure structural warranty

Because not everyone undertaking a self-build project will have building experience, you might not realise mistake are being made. This does not mean you can’t manage the project, but if you don’t know what you are looking for technically then it’s a good idea to have someone else look over the project for you. That is what we do, but we also insure it for 10 years as well, just to make sure.


Most structural warranty claims stem from poor or inexperienced workmanship. This is why we check the build during the course of construction utilising either a technical audit or an integrated building control service.

Our self-build structural warranty policy covers defects in the design, workmanship, materials and components of the project. Should these elements fail and cause damage or weather proofing issues, you will have cover under the terms and conditions of the policy.

All the items covered by a Protek self-build structural warranty policy may actually be excluded under ordinary home insurance. These defects can invariably remain your responsibility, so it’s really important you consider having some protection in place. This is why the policy automatically provides cover to the successor in title after the first year. It’s also why lenders may insist on them. Rectifying damage to your home as a result of structural failure could be incredibly expensive to fix and doesn’t bear thinking about. This is why having self-build warranty cover in place can prove important.

Will my bank or building society insist on a self-build warranty being available prior to lending funds. 

Lenders need to secure the asset they are lending on as far as possible. This is why they will usually insist on a self-build warranty being in place. Lenders know that the property will have been thoroughly inspected during the course of construction. The site inspection is there to ensure that it’s being well built and is suitable for provision of the warranty. Not all self-builders have construction experience or the expertise the site inspection service brings. The technical audit will help pick up on any bad workmanship or incorrectly specified product use during the construction phase.

Is it approved by Lenders?

For more information on which lenders have confirmed the acceptance of the structural warranty policy please click here.

What about a CML or Professional Consultants Certificate?

A Professional Consultant Certificate is often advertised as low cost alternative to a self-build warranty. The reality is they are cheaper for a reason. A professional consultant’s certificate is not itself an insurance policy. It is just a certificate identifying who the professional was. If a defect manifests itself, you will have to prove the professional was negligent and that can be a costly and potentially fruitless exercise. It is also worth bearing in mind that the certificate is issued on the back of professional indemnity insurance. Therefore, if the professional fails to renew their professional indemnity insurance or goes out of business – you are unlikely to have any protection whatsoever.

Are stage payment certificates available?

Yes. Stage release certificates can be provided alongside the site inspection process. It is often the quickest and most cost effective way of evidencing the stage the project has reached for mortgage draw down purposes. You can request these during the quote process.

Is the Protek self-build warranty suitable for Community Infrastructure (CIL) exemption evidence?

Yes. Under the terms of the relief and exemption requirements of the Community Infrastructure Levy, our self-build structural warranty will provide one of the key elements of evidence you are required to provide on the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Form 7: self-build Exemption Claim Form Part 2.

This form must be submitted to the Charging Authority within 6 months of completion. 

How does the structural warranty process work?

To provide you with the 10 year structural warranty, we check the design, workmanship, materials and components. We do this in the form of a plan and calculation check and a series of site based inspections. We can also incorporate building control into the process using a partnered building control provider – often saving our clients’ money. The warranty is available whether you are using the local authority or an approved inspector to carry out building control. The structural warranty policy includes cover for health and safety of occupants should you have failed to meet the building regulations in place at the time. 

Whether you elect to take our Technical Audit or Building Control route, the whole process is started by purchasing the cover. Our surveyor will then be instructed to make contact with you. They will request copies of the building regulation drawings, sections and any relevant calculations. It may be that you will want your Architect or system supplier to send this information, which is fine. The surveyor will then check the design and make arrangements to start the site based inspection process as outlined below.

The Technical Audit Process

Building Inspector Looking At New Property

We understand the that undertaking a building project can be quite complex. For this reason, we aim to make the technical audit process as straightforward and stress free as possible. Upon receiving your instruction, we will convey to you everything that we are going to require and we aim to have a surveyor on site within 5 working days. We will report to you after each stage highlighting any issues we have identified that need to be dealt with. Upon satisfactory completion of the audit process we will be able to issue cover, which is transferable to a successor in title after the first 12 months.

Incorporate Building Control

Our building control service is carried out by a partnered approved inspector. This service will incorporate the technical audit requirements alongside statutory building control. It removes the need for two separate surveyors to inspect the project at the same time. This often makes it a very attractive proposition to our customers financially. If you haven’t arranged your building control to date, you can request a quote for this service using our online quote tool.  

Product Information







Contact Us

Protek Group Limited,
First Floor, Marlbridge House,
Enterprise Way, Edenbridge,
TN8 6HF.

Tel: 0333 456 8030



Protek Group Ltd is is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Protek Group Limited FCA Reg. No. 999394.

Protek Group Ltd registered office: First Floor, Marlbridge House, Enterprise Way, Edenbridge, Kent, TN8 6HF. Registered in England and Wales. Company Number 09616620.




Financial Ombudsman Service
Should you have cause to complain, and you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you may be able to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which can be contacted as follows: The Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR | Tel: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9 123 |